Rope Maker

I made this rope maker using the instructions from the recent edition of the Pioneering Merit Badge pamphlet.  You could also use the 1993 edition, as the instructions are essentially the same.


I made a few modifications to the design however.  I found that clamping the rope maker to a table was not stable enough.  So I added a piece of 2x4 to the bottom and bolted it to a trailer hitch.  It is very stable now.  I used a 4" drop hitch, turned upside down.  Not sure how well other types of hitches might work.  This is just what I had lying around.

I used 1/8" steel wire for the hooks.  I got the wire from sign stakes that I bought at Lowe's for about $1.50 each.  I don't remember if I used 3 stakes, or if 2 were enough.  (I had originally posted that these stakes were aluminum, but I was wrong.)


I also bent the ends of the hooks so the handle doesn't slip off.


Which way to turn the handle is confusing when you read the instructions in the MB pamphlet, so I marked it with a Sharpie.


My first 2 attempts at making rope were a disaster.


I found that once the yarns are twisted up into strands, but the strands are not twisting into rope when you think they should be, you may have to loosely hold the rope about a foot from the single hook and let it hang and spin freely on its own, then the rope will start to form.

Third time is a charm!



Since posting this, I have made additional modifications to the rope machine.  See my posts titled "Twisted" and "Another Rope Machine Modification" to see how to make this device even better. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frapping Mallet

Dining Fly Poles

Commando Rope