Towing

We have a fairly large Troop trailer with tandem axles and 7500 lb GTW.  Usually the Scoutmaster hauls it with his 1 ton diesel truck with dual wheels.  Occasionally, I have to pull it with my F150.  As you can see below, it put a strain on my truck.  This picture was taken before I modified the suspension on the truck.



To be able to handle the weight, I had to modify the suspension on my truck.  I decided to use a kit from Auto Spring Corp.  It includes an add-a-leaf for the rear leaf springs that adds 900 lbs of capacity.  The trailer weighs 7500 lbs, but most of the weight is on the trailer wheels.  The weight pushing down on the rear of the truck is called the tongue weight.  For a tandem axle trailer, that will be approximately 10% of the GTW, or 750 lbs.  So the extra 900 lbs capacity is plenty.  The add-a-leaf lifts the rear suspension about 2 to 2.5 inches, so front coil spacers are needed to even out the front with the rear.  The kit is about $200.  I installed it myself.  The kit comes with good instructions.  You can find YouTube videos of the installation to see if you think you can handle going DIY on this.



Below is a picture of the leaf springs on my truck.  The second leaf from the bottom is the leaf from the kit.



If you choose this route, I have two recommendations:  1.  Get some PB Blaster and spray all the bolts that you will need to take apart the day before you do the install.  2.  Get a front end alignment afterwards.  The kit doesn't change your ride quality, but it does alter the front end geometry enough to change the wear pattern on your tires.

Another ASM from our Troop pulls the above trailer with a Toyota Tundra.  He went with a product called the Loadlifter 5000 from AirLift.  This product replaces the bump stop on your rear suspension with an inflatable air bag that you fill with compressed air until your rear end doesn't sag from the weight of the trailer.  This product is easier to install than the kit I put on my truck.  It doesn't lift the suspension at all, doesn't change ride quality and doesn't require a front end alignment afterwards.  They run about $275 depending on what vehicle you have.  You can get more expensive options that include an onboard air compressor, but that is not necessary.


I also recommend getting an adjustable ball mount.  I like the one made by MaxxTow.  I bought mine from etrailer.com.  They cost about $70.  This mount is rated for 12,000 lbs GTW.  It has 2" and 2-5/16" balls.  It adjusts so you can get the trailer level.  If the ball is too low, it puts too much weight on your truck.  If the ball is too high, it can cause your trailer to sway.  This mount lets you get it just right.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frapping Mallet

Dining Fly Poles

Commando Rope