Scotch Eye Auger II

I came up with another take on the Scotch eye auger that I made about 9 posts ago.  Auger bits come in different shaft diameters.  Those made by Irwin are 7/16".  The Harbor Freight ones are supposed to be 3/8" but are more like 11/32.  I wanted to have one "eye" that I could use with any auger bit, but still use the bit in a power drill if I want.  So I got a 1/2" to 3/8" socket adapter and welded it to a piece of 1" pipe.  Now, by selecting different sockets, I can use any auger bit.  This should even work with the tapered square end bits used with a brace and bit. 

I bought a 3.5" double threaded 1" pipe from Lowe's and a set of socket adapters from Harbor Freight.  This cost me about $5. 


I cut the threaded ends off of the pipe.  You can use an angle grinder / cutting disc for this but a chop saw is even better.


Then I ground a curve into the end of the socket adapter with a die grinder.  Again, an angle grinder with a thicker grinding disc, bench grinder or Dremel tool would work also.  It doesn't have to be perfect if you are going to weld it.


The 2 pieces fit together nicely now.


I took the extra step of grinding the logo off the socket and bead blasting both pieces. 


Here they are welded together.


All cleaned up and ready for painting.  What you can't see is that I ground the inside edges of the pipe with a die grinder so the handle can slide in more easily.  The square piece of wood below is not a handle.  It is just a scrap that I used to hold it for painting. 


A coat of black spray paint.


The finished eye mated up to various augers with different sockets. 



Carved a handle out of holly.  (I have a ridiculous amount of holly on my property.)


I have played around with the auger a bit.  Made some holes in scraps of wood, and even made a mortise and tenon joint with logs.  It works well.  I look forward to making some rustic camp furniture with it in the future.  Stay tuned. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frapping Mallet

Dining Fly Poles

Commando Rope