Commando Rope

Remember the commando rope with a loop on one end and a toggle on the other that commandos would use in WWII to scale cliffs, etc.?   It does not seem to have warranted a mention in the latest edition of the Scout Handbook. 


It was featured in my 1980 edition Scout Handbook.  There were also articles about it in the June 1947 and December 1978 issues of Boy's Life.  We have a pioneering themed campout coming up, and I thought it would be neat to make some wooden toggles so the Scouts could make commando ropes.

I used 7/8" oak dowels, which are about $5 for a 36" length, enough to make 8 4" toggles.  I used a 3/8" core box router bit, set to a height of 1/8" to make the groove.  I made a groove 2" (on center) from each of of each dowel using a router table.  It will take multiple passes to make a circumferential groove.  It is better to make the groove when the dowel is long.  Don't cut them to 4" and then try to make the groove. 


Then I cut the ends off with a miter saw set at 4".


Rinse, lather repeat:


Then I used a 45" chamfer bit with the fence set flush with the bearing to chamfer the ends.  It takes multiple passes for each end. 


Here are the 2 bits I used.  3/8" core box and 45 deg chamfer with bearing.


Next, I sanded the groove with the smallest diameter sanding drum on an oscillating spindle sander.  You could do this by hand if you don't have the sanding machine.


Then I smoothed out the rest on a belt sander.  Again, this could be done by hand.


You may notice that I tapered the ends a bit more on the toggle in the first image.  This isn't necessary.  Once you have your toggles made.  Take a 10' piece of 3/8" manila, and make as small an eye splice and you can possibly make.  Then force the toggle into it.  Make an eye splice on the other end, just large enough to fit the toggle through.  You end up with an 8' commando rope.  You could make your ropes 6' or 10' long if you like, or even make them with 1/2" rope if you prefer. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frapping Mallet

Dining Fly Poles