Mosquito Net Frame

I just got back from summer camp.  I strung up my mosquito net inside my tent using some paracord.  It was tedious to set up and the result was not pretty.  So I decided to make my own frame for the mosquito net.

I used the following criteria:
a.  reasonably lightweight
b.  fits in the trunk that I use for camp
c.  reasonably inexpensive (< $20)
d.  works with wood or metal frame cots
e.  fits in the standard BSA wall tent (one side has to be shorter)

Materials:
4 2" C clamps
2 10' sections of 1/2" CPVC pipe
2 1/2" CPVC 90 deg elbows
4 1/2" CPVC 45 deg elbows
2 20' sections of paracord

Cut List for CPVC Pipe:
34" (2)
26.5" (2)
18" (2)
1.5" (2)

I got 4 2" C clamps from Harbor Freight for $2.19 a piece.  I used a bench grinder to grind down one end of each handle so they could be removed, thus allowing a piece of pipe to fit over the threaded part.  I duct taped the handles to the clamps so they would not get lost.  You really only need 1 handle, so you will have 3 spares.


C clamp with end of handle ground down and removed.

C clamp with handle duct taped to body.


I clamped these onto the for corners of the cot.  On my cot, they were spaced 25.5" apart on the ends.  Then I put the 2 34" pieces of pipe on the C clamps on the side that will face the center of the tent, and the 2 18" pieces on the side that will be against the wall.  Each 18" piece gets a 45 deg elbow on top.  Each 34" piece gets a 90 deg elbow on the end, then a 1.5" piece, then a 45 deg elbow.  The 26.5" pieces go on a diagonal between the uprights.

Cot with frame assembly.


Next the paracord goes on.  I started by wrapping around the cot frame near the base of the taller upright and tying a tautline hitch.  Then I wrapped the cord 3 times around the space between the 90 and 45 deg elbows.  Repeat the process on the other end.  It is pretty much the same for the low side, but you are wrapping the cord around the diagonal piece just above the 45 deg elbow.  This arrangement keeps the frame tied down to the cot, and allows you to adjust tension.

Side view.


Finally put on your mosquito net and you are done.

Frame with mosquito net.


Here it is disassembled.  The net is in one gallon ziploc bag and all the small parts are in the other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frapping Mallet

Dining Fly Poles

Commando Rope